How to make a Lantern ?



No Stories today :)  We will get into the tutorial directly.

It can be called as Hemp Globe or Yarn lantern or Lantern Balloon or String Chandelier . I thought of decorating my home with some lights. So finally ended up making this. This is famous String Craft I've ever seen. You can check my other home decors here. I couldn't make a professional Lantern. Read the precautions at the bottom of this post, before you start.

Yarn Lantern

What do we need ? 


Balloon or Rubber Ball
Glue  (I used Fevicol Mr)
Acrylic Paint 2 - 3 Bottles
Spool of Twine

How to make ?


1. Blow up the balloon till you get the required shape. Tie the end tightly, so that it will not deflate. If you are using Rubber Ball, i think you will not have these problems.

2. Apply glue all over the ball or balloon. Now the difficult part comes. Have a Cup of glue separately to sink the twine completely before wrapping. Shalin (My Brother) helped me here to sink the twine with glue, he runs the twine unto me and i will start wrapping it.

Step 2 yarn lantern Making


3. Start wrapping twine around the ball or balloon without any specific order with comfortable tightness. I recommend to go with vertical wrapping mostly. Once it is covered fully with twine, cut the twine and stick the end on the ball. Make sure it should not get loosened. My hands started trembling when i finished half of the twine roll wrapping around. 3/4 th roll of twine got over to make this lantern.
 
4. I painted the twine at this stage with acrylic colors. Since our wall is white, i have chosen Red to make it bright. Be good in chosing colors. Turquoise would be Nice, But don't choose Dark colors, lantern will not look gorgeous.

Step 4 Yarn Lantern Making


5. I hung up the ball from the ceiling rod, so that it will not be disturbed and will dry perfectly. Let it dry for few hours. But i'm not in the position to tell you how many hours it should dry. Because my balloon was exploded, when I touched after 4 hours :( So my suggestion would be Rubber Ball.

Step 5 Yarn Lantern

 
6. Experts say, it needs to be dried for 24 hours. Now the easy part is popping the balloon or ball using some sharp object.  Once the air deflates, you can throw away the deflated balloon. My lantern was looking like Baya Weaver Bird Nest. I was happy that i made something different from others.

7. Now your lantern is done! Want to make a fully functional lantern? Use some Bulbs to light up the lantern. I have led the wire from the ceiling rod to hang. Tie the twine to wires using some thread.

Enlighten 


 

Precautions :


1. Once you started, you can't pause. You must finish.
2. In step 2, as mentioned, sink the twine completely means not the roll, but few centimetres of twine sunk and then wrapped around the ball.
3. Make sure to lay down some cup board, because glue will splash all over. Don't go for newspaper, it will stick with twine (i had a very bad experience :( )

                                     
Lantern Chandelier



PS : If my post inspired/encouraged you by any means, Please post a comment and share your post's URL. I would like to check and share some love. If you have featured my posts, please do let me know, I'm very much thankful to you. 

Comments