Babel by Rebecca F Kuang

4.5 ⭐

✴️Can we attain what we lost in the tower of Babel (Genesis 11:1–9)? ✴️




The silver geared the London city, giving life to the rich on the island in the 19th century. Stolen words from other languages were contributing to the basic life of the British Empire and making them clever and industrious.

The forgotten child, Robin, as if his daddy couldn't be bothered to love him, was privileged to take advantage of the silver resources and international silver trading situations while studying at the Oxford Translation Institute, known as Babel.

When the international silver business affairs unfolded with their cunning intentions, would he dare to destroy the ecosystem at Babel? It was not just a sandcastle that can easily be destroyed; its wards are protected. Throughout the story, this timid and unselfish boy had been trying to find his own harbour in this violent coercion and struggling to give up on his sense of belonging.

Reading Babel was mostly interesting, as there were many heated arguments from the perspectives of the eastern and western worlds about Britain's imperialism. I also felt I was reading a history text book, so it's not a quick page turner as I was carefully savouring the etymologies and mid-19th century events. I believe the forerunner words, sprinkled all over the books, were not just made to sit there to show some intelligence, but a good amount of research had gone into blending the words into the story. My favourite silver match pair is Heal-Xiù (undo the wound).

If you are hungry for knowledge about mid-19th-century events, Oxford, colonialism, trading, and translation, this dark academia book should be your choice.

After reading Babel, I literally wanted to reduce 1 star from all the other books I read this year 😅. But I also believe this book could have been shortened without forcing the same idea repeatedly in different tones. TBH, I felt bored towards the end.

I again fell in love with my mother tongue, 'Tamil'. Sometimes I feel proud that the TN state government of India has been still refusing to add other Indian languages to the academic syllabus because I'm (we're) originally scared that our language 'Tamil' may soon die in years if another language tries to outgrow us.

Comments