[Book Review] DIARY of a Wimpy Kid "A Novel in Cartoons"

This book "DIARY of Wimpy Kid" plays around with the protagonist "Greg Heffley" who is not clever but a wimpy kid as the title says.

I really loved how Greg's elder brother Rodrick tricked Greg every chances he got, and Greg was pretty dumb falling for those. Greg's younger brother Manny's mischievous acts, which blinded their parents, achieved without great effort.

When Greg tried to be a smart teenager and save his image in the middle school, his naive friend Rowley became the spoiler every time. The moments like when Greg and Rowley drenched by Craig father's trick-or-treat trash can water were undoubtedly ached my stomach after all their tremendous effort on the Halloween day. The play "Wizard of Oz" and being safety patrol were totally entertaining. 

Greg's attempts to be treasurer at student government elections, gain weights, crank out thank-you cards, be spotted in Class's favorite page, etc., all went as catastrophe but was hilarious. 


A Novel in Cartoons


It was totally fun and entertaining reading it, and the language is north-american slang. The author "Jeff Kinney" is a gifted person to illustrate this series with uprightness in a humorous way. I guess the author doesn't want us to bog down, so he has come up with with graphics and legible font-style which are my likes. I hardly laugh for jokes, but this book got much laughs out of me. I guess it is not only for tween but for parents also, especially for those who can take jokes as jokes because you can't seek wisdom in this book but amusement. Believe me this book was hard to put down. Zoo-wee Mama!!

Few funny lines from the book. Oops.. Actually there are a lot, yet I can't write the entire book here.

"But for now I'm stuck in middle school with a bunch of morons."



"You've got kids like me who haven't hit their growth spurt yet mixed in these gorillas who need to shave twice a day."

"I tried to sing as quietly as possible, but of course I got singled out, anyway."

My husband gave me some weird looks for all the impulsive laughs at the middle of the night as this book has been my before-bed read everyday. Now, heading towards "Rodrick Rules" ;-)

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (5/5)

Recommendation: Yes 

Comments